Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bottle Cap BBQ Table

My husband loves to grill.  I love it when my husband grills.  Several years ago we were eating at a restaurant in Kansas City.  The tables in the restaurant were tiled with beer bottle caps.  It was fun looking at all of the different bottle caps.  So, we discussed several different possibilities for doing a project involving bottle caps.  We decided to make a table to put next to Mark's grill, so he could put his trays and whatnot (his bottle of Bud light) on it while he tends to his grilling.

And when I say "We decided to make a table" I meant Mark would make the table, and I would tile the table top with  bottle caps.  Fortunately several friends volunteered to save bottle caps for us.  I am grateful for this, otherwise we would have a table tiled only with Bud light caps. 

Here are a few photos highlighting our project. 
I sorted bottle caps for several hours.  I sorted them by color.

Mark building the table.  He used Thompson's waterseal on the wood.  
This is a paper pattern I made of the area to be tiled.
Laying out the caps. 
Laying the caps in the mortar.  I was glad I put painter's tape around the perimeter of the tabletop.  I am a rather messy tiler.  Fortunately, my friend Debby helped me with this step.  She and I have done several tile projects together. 

A close up photo of the caps in the mortar.  Some of the caps are really pretty.
Grouting the tabletop.
Done!

A close up of the finished table top.

Next project, another table to sit next to the smoker.  I'm pretty sure my husband was a butcher in his former life.  I'm good with that.

1 comment: